1. Choose a social media site that is popular in your area.
Of course, you want people to view your social media site, especially your target market niche. However, there are social media sites that are popular in some countries but not in others.
For instance, it appears that Facebook is more widely used in Asian countries while Western countries are more likely to be active on Twitter.
2. Consider using multiple social media sites.
If you live in a place wherein there are several social media sites that are in use, perhaps you can sign up an account on all those social media sites. This way, you will be able to reach more people.
Tips on getting started with a social media site
3. Make a draft plan of the contents first.
Getting started without a plan can lead to a messy start. This will not be good for your company image. So before you make your social media account available, make sure that you planned for its contents and design first.
4. Come up with an editorial calendar.
You may have plenty of things you want to share and say. But if you post all of them at the same, people will get confused. Also, you will quickly run out of things to share in the future. So make a timeline and plan which things you want to post first and which ones should follow in a chronological order.
5. Know your target market niche.
There are plenty of people that join social media sites. However, you do not really want to reach to all of them. You need to focus on a group of people which are ‘potential customers’. Know who they are.
6. Check for a possibly existing account with a similar name.
You do not want people to confuse you for another organization, group, or individual. You do not know how these other accounts are behaving and anything they do might have implications on your company’s image.
7. Try using checkusernames.com to create a unique moniker.
If you found out that there are already existing accounts with a similar name or a mockingly similar name, you can go to checkusernames.com to help you come up with an alternative.
8. Know how to lure in the people in your target market niche.
Do you already have a clear vision of who your target market niche is? The next thing you need to figure out is how you can lure them in. You need to make a research on the things that interest them. For example, if your products are cosmetics and your target market niche are women, then perhaps some video content about makeup tricks will lure them in.
9. Ready high quality graphics and Photoshop edited photos.
Sometimes, it is not the content but the appearance. What really draws some people into a social media profile is the looks of it. You can make your profile page look more attractive by using pictures, photographs, and images.
10. Ready high quality short articles, comments, posts.
After luring them in with flamboyant graphics and attractive page design, your people will start looking for content. If they find nothing, they will leave. For some juicy content, you can hire people to write short articles, comments, and posts.
11. Make sure that you have the resources to regularly maintain a social media account.
Yes, it is free to sign up to Facebook and Twitter. But you will need to hire graphics artists, video editors, content writers, and maintenance crew. And if you need to advertise, you will probably need to pay these social media sites. Make sure that you have a budget for it.
12. Check to see if having a social media account will really be of help to your company or if it will just be a liability.
There are a lot benefits in having a social media account for your company. But there are also dangers. You need to analyze if you can take these risks head on.
13. Know the dangers and risks of having a social media account and see if it is worth it.